Tuesday 19 November 2013

Critical Reflection and Planning My Inquiry Tools

Up until now I have solely been focusing on the quality of my questions and not given thought to how I plan on collecting the data for my line of inquiry.
After reading through reader 6, I now realise the importance of planning how I am going to gather this information, in order to ensure that it is relevant to my line of inquiry.

The reader describes four different tools that can be used in gathering information, each tool having its own benefits but also its limitations.

After much consideration I have decided that the two tools I plan on using in my line of inquiry to gather information will be through OBSERVATIONS and INTERVIEWS.

OBSERVATIONS
I have chosen observation as I feel that this is the most natural tool for me, being one that I already use on a regular basis. Most recently, I have been consciously aware of when I am observing and mentally taking notes which has therefore helped me to progress not only as a teacher but also as a student on this course.
I also think that through observing I can gather data that is relevant to my topic, that is genuine, and a rich source of information of a behavioural nature where I can see with my own eyes the patterns of communication, verbal and non-verbal. For example, how a student responds to particular actions by a teacher and vice versa.

INTERVIEWS
I have chosen interviewing as my other tool because as with observing, it is something that I have become confident at doing recently. Since, starting this course I have been gathering information and feedback from different sources via informal interviews. I find it a good method to use as it is direct and you can respond and change course according to how the interview is going, so I think that chatting to a professional/expert on a one to one level will ensure that I gather relevant information.

The reader describes different interview methods such as:

• non-directive or open interviews that allow the interviewee to talk about anything they like 

This method is one that I most commonly use as it puts the interviewee in a relaxed state of mind, making them feel comfortable and it brings about new information that probably wouldn't have been mentioned otherwise in a more formal question/answer interview.

However, I am not sure this method would work for my inquiry as I need to ensure that the interviewee stays on topic. So the method that I think would work in achieving relevant data is a:

• semi-structured interview which includes set questions or themes with the flexibility of following interesting or useful emerging issues is often most appropriate for the work-based researcher because of its inherent flexibility.  
I had a quick read through Joe's blog which is always interesting, and he describes an interview that he conducted whereby he found that it became more of a discussion than a question and answer session, although he was careful to keep the interviewee on track by dictating the topic of conversation.

I am confident that if I can achieve these sorts of results in an interview then I will gather a wide range of information relevant to my line of inquiry.

One thing that I must be aware of though, which is also mentioned in the reader, is that the information gathered from each individual is based on their opinions and can be effected by their backgrounds.

FOCUS GROUPS
This tool is the least appealing to me although I can see it's advantages and why it would work well in a line of inquiry.
I think the reason why this is a tool I wouldn't use for my line of inquiry is because it is a method I have never tried before. I am unsure of it's full potential and also of any disadvantages it may have.
Nevertheless, because of my lack of confidence in this tool, I feel I should jump the hurdle and try it in a casual, informal setting.
The tools I will be using to gather data for my line of inquiry are observations and interviews, but I may use a focus group as a tool outside of the module and gather information on a different topic to see how it could benefit me in the future.

SURVEYS
To begin with this was the tool that I chose. I thought it would be a great way to gather information from a wide range of people and also because it is a quick, easy and familiar method to use for the participants and myself.
It was the reader which changed my mind and convinced me that this tool would not gain the results that I'm after.
If I did a survey, I feel that the answers I received would be lacking in depth and quality, even if I took great pains to ensure that the people I gave the surveys to were professionals/experts.
To me, it is a great way for businesses to gather information, but for me personally, I want to carry out my line of inquiry in a personal way, through one to one discussions and interviews and through observing lessons. I believe these methods will uncover wide, sincere and relevant results.




No comments:

Post a Comment